The Sorensen Institute does offer limited financial aid for applicants accepted to participate in its programs who might require some financial assistance in order to attend. If you are interested in applying for financial aid, please review this page carefully.
FINANCIAL AID THROUGH SORENSEN
- The evaluation process for reviewing applications for acceptance to a Sorensen Institute program is need-blind. That is, the people who evaluate applications to participate in the program differ from those who review financial aid applications.
- The overall amount of financial aid available is dependent on the overall success of attracting financial support for the Sorensen Institute. We are rarely able to cover the entire cost of the program fees but do try to make it easier for successful applicants with financial needs to participate in the program to which they have been accepted.
- In any event, the financial aid generally applies only to program fees and does not cover the deposit required to accept a spot in a program. Also, while program fees cover required lodging and those meals provided by Sorensen during programs, the program participants are responsible for their own travel and all other expenses including meals not provided by Sorensen.
- Financial aid applications are reviewed by representatives of our parent organization, the Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service. Financial aid requests are managed after applicants are accepted to programs. The financial aid process usually consists of filling out a short application describing a participant's financial needs and planned contribution toward their program fees.
- Program specific information:
- Financial aid is much more limited with regard to the Candidate Training Program, given that fundraising is an essential part of running a successful campaign.
- For the 2022 Emerging Leaders Program, financial aid applications and instructions will be distributed to applicants once they are accepted to the program.
ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE OPTIONS
The program fee payment for all programs is due before the program begins. As a form of financial assistance, accepted applicants may choose our payment plan, which includes a small additional convenience and processing fee.
The payment plan for the 2022 Political Leaders Program is four payments of $1,275.00 due on February 15, April 15, June 15, and August 15, 2022.
The payment plan for the 2022 Emerging Leaders Program is three payments of $625.00 due on July 23, August 23, and September 23, 2022.
In many instances, participants may find it necessary to fundraise to pay the program deposit and/or supplement their financial aid awards. We are happy to provide guidance and advice based on successful efforts by previous program participants in locating financial support outside of Sorensen’s financial aid, but the responsibility of any necessary fundraising lies solely on the participant.